Zesty Onion Burgers
My mother found this simple recipe on a soup can over 40 years ago. The oniony sandwiches starred many of our Sunday suppers. I carry on the tradition today, making them for my husband and our two grown sons.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed onion soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- Dash pepper
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a large skillet, cook beef and celery over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink; drain. Add the soup, water, ketchup,
- Worcestershire sauce, mustard and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened,
- stirring occasionally.
- Spread cut sides of buns with butter; toast the buns. Top with beef
- mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 500 calories, 24 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 1,333 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 27 g protein.