My mother found this simple recipe on a soup can over 40 years ago. The oniony sandwiches starred many of our Sunday suppers. I carry on the tradition today, making them for my husband and our two grown sons.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed onion soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- Dash pepper
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a large skillet, cook beef and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the soup, water, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Spread cut sides of buns with butter; toast the buns. Top with beef mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Onion Burgers in Country Woman September/October 2003, p29
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Zesty Onion Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review