My mother found this simple recipe on a soup can over 40 years ago. The oniony sandwiches starred many of our Sunday suppers. I carry on the tradition today, making them for my husband and our two grown sons.
Recommended: 33 Fast Food Copycat Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed onion soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- Dash pepper
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a large skillet, cook beef and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the soup, water, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Spread cut sides of buns with butter; toast the buns. Top with beef mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Onion Burgers in Country Woman September/October 2003, p29
Reviews forZesty Onion Burgers
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 2, 2010
"I have a family of 5 and we all have different taste and 2 of them are very picky eaters. I made this recipe last night and everyone of them including our 3 guests loved it."