This moist chicken tastes terrific topped with a zesty tomato sauce and cheese. It's speedy enough for a weekday meal, yet impressive enough for guests.
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and dried oregano
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a shallow bowl, combine egg white and milk. In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and seasonings. Dip each chicken breast in the egg white mixture, then in the crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet; cook chicken on both sides in butter until chicken is golden brown and crispy and juices run clear. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Remove from the heat and cover for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine tomato sauce and basil; cook until heated through. Serve with chicken. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Mozzarella Chicken in Country Woman January/February 1994, p37
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Zesty Mozzarella Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review