Zesty Meatballs Recipe
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 pound lean ground turkey
- BARBECUE SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 6 cups hot cooked yolk-free noodles
- 1. Place onion in a small microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on high for 1-1/2 minutes or until tender. In a large bowl, combine the egg whites, milk, mustard, salt, cracker crumbs and onion. Crumble beef and turkey over mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape into 1-1/4-in. balls. Place meatballs on a rack coated with cooking spray in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 375° for 15 -18 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in vinegar until smooth. Add the ketchup, molasses, orange juice concentrate, mustard, soy sauce and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add meatballs; heat through. Serve with noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (6 meatballs and 1/3 cup sauce with 1 cup noodles) equals 672 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 1,050 mg sodium, 105 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 34 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 7 starch, 2 lean meat.