The recipe for this thick, zippy soup first caught my attention for two reasons - it calls for ingredients that it can be prepared in a jiffy. A chili macaroni mix provides this dish with a little spice, but sometimes I jazz it up with a can of chopped green chilies. It's a family favorite. -Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (7 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (7-1/2 ounces) chili macaroni dinner mix
- Salsa con queso dip
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, beans, tomatoes, corn and chilies if desired. Stir in the mustard, salt, pepper and contents of macaroni sauce mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in contents of macaroni packet. Cover and simmer 10-14 minutes longer or until macaroni is tender, stirring occasionally. Serve with salsa con queso dip. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Zesty Macaroni Soup in Quick Cooking May/June 1999, p29
Reviews for Zesty Macaroni Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review