Maureen Mack, of Milwaukee, Wisconsin says “This colorful main dish is very high in fiber. A complete protein with black beans and brown rice, it’s perfect for vegetarians. If you need to cut down on sodium, use reduced-sodium beans and tomatoes.”
Recommended: Fresh, Balanced & Filling No-Cook Summer Dinners
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, pickled jalapeno slices, shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese and reduced-fat sour cream
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and pepper in oil until tender. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, corn, taco sauce, chili powder and cayenne; heat through. Stir in cooked rice.
- Spoon 3/4 cup mixture down the center of each tortilla. Add toppings if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Light Tacos in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009, p61
Reviews for Zesty Light Tacos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review