Maureen Mack, of Milwaukee, Wisconsin says “This colorful main dish is very high in fiber. A complete protein with black beans and brown rice, it’s perfect for vegetarians. If you need to cut down on sodium, use reduced-sodium beans and tomatoes.”
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, pickled jalapeno slices, shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese and reduced-fat sour cream
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and pepper in oil until tender. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, corn, taco sauce, chili powder and cayenne; heat through. Stir in cooked rice.
- Spoon 3/4 cup mixture down the center of each tortilla. Add toppings if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Light Tacos in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009, p61
Reviews for Zesty Light Tacos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 2, 2010
"This has the perfect blend of vegetables, beans, rice, and hot spices. It also met my easy-prep criteria of not too much chopping or dishes to wash."