My husband and I entertain quite a bit, either around our pool at home or at our log cabin. I especially like to serve this zesty sandwich loaf during the cooler months.
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 unsliced loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- 6 thin slices tomato
- 6 thin slices salami
- 6 thin slices red onion
- 12 thin slices pepperoni
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients; set aside. Make 11 slices in the bread, not cutting all the way though bottom crust. Place loaf on a piece of foil large enough to wrap it completely. Gently separate every other slice and spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise mixture on cut surfaces. Insert cheese, tomato, salami, onion and pepperoni between every other slice. Wrap the foil tightly around loaf; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. To serve, cut bread between unstuffed slices; serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Italian Loaf in Country Pork 1996, p30
Reviews for Zesty Italian Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 2, 2012
"Great sandwich. Would make again."