“This is a tasty, zippy meat loaf. Make sandwiches out of the leftovers and get double duty out of this delicious meat loaf with a kick. Nancy Zimmerman of Cape May Court House, New Jersey
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, crumbled
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- In a large bowl, soak bread in milk for 5 minutes. Drain and discard milk. Stir in the celery, onion, horseradish, mustard, chili sauce, egg, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into a loaf in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread top with ketchup. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Serve immediately or before baking and adding ketchup, freeze meat loaf in a freezer container for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen meat loaf: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Spread top with ketchup. Bake as directed. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Horseradish Meat Loaf in Simple & Delicious September/October 2008, p17
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Zesty Horseradish Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review