Zesty Hamburger Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cup water
- 2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked small shell pasta
- 4 pickled jalapeno slices, chopped
- 4 cups V8 juice
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the water, potatoes, corn, pasta and jalapeno.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Add the remaining ingredients; cook and stir until heated through. Yield: 10 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cup: 222 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 542mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Reviews for Zesty Hamburger Vegetable Soup
"Love this soup!"
"This soup is wonderful and so easy to make in the crockpot. I browned and drained the ground beef and put it in the bottom of the crockpot with everything except the pasta. I used three 11.5 oz. cans of V-8 spicy (omitted pickled jalapeños because I didn't have them) Used two cans of corn instead of frozen. An hour before finish, add pasta. Cook on high about 7 hrs or so if you didn't precook the onion and celery. Celery will still have a wonderful tender-crisp bite."
"I love this! I made homemade meatballs last night and used the leftover meatballs to make this tonight. I didn't change anything else except added salt & pepper and used basil, garlic tomatoes. This is really delicious and makes a large dutch oven full!"
"This recipe makes a TON of soup--and it's a very, very filling. I must have done something wrong, though I'm not sure what yet because my "soup" had less broth than I would have liked. If you're cooking this for 2 people, cut the recipe in half unless you like leftovers. My only problem with the recipe itself was the lack of seasoning. I added 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper--it still needed something else, I found the soup bland for my tastes. I'll try this again, but I'll season it more next time."
"Expected better flavor, very Disappointed....very bland. Had to add seasoned salt and cheese to give it a flavor."
"we love this"