I learned that in Rome and other parts of Italy, pizza simply started out as bread with oil and herbs on it. In some locales, cheese, tomato and grilled meat were added. With the basic original pizza ingredients surrounding me, I was inspired to make a modern version of an ancient food and this recipe was born.—Mara Mcauley, Hinsdale, New York
Featured In: 22 Leftover Ham Recipes
- 1 submarine roll (6 to 7 inches)
- 2 to 3 thin slices fully cooked ham
- 3 to 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 small tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon prepared Italian salad dressing or reduced-fat Caesar vinaigrette
- Split roll enough to open (don't cut all the way through); place open-faced on a baking sheet. Layer remaining ingredients in order listed over roll. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and sandwich is warm. Fold top of roll over and serve immediately. Yield: 1 serving.
Originally published as Zesty Ham Sandwich in Taste of Home August/September 1994, p16
Reviews for Zesty Ham Sandwich
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review