Zesty Ham and Cheese Muffins Recipe
I developed this recipe and it has become a favorite of my mother's. I often make a batch for the two of us to share. The muffins are great for brunch or an on-the-go breakfast. —Julie Hess, Lititz, Pennsylvania
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 6 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded process cheese (Velveeta)
- 5 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk and pepper sauce. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the ham, cheddar cheese and process cheese.
- 2. Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Top each muffin with about 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese and 1/4 teaspoon butter. Combine the paprika, parsley and pepper; sprinkle over muffins.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 10-14 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 14 muffins.
1 muffin equals 153 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 462 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC