When I have a taste for something different, or something with a “zip,” this soup always hits the spot.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) whole tomatoes
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 small onion, cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 slices rye bread, cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Drain tomatoes, reserving juice. In a blender, cover and process the
- tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper and onion in batches until chopped.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Place the vinegar, bread cubes and reserved tomato juice in blender;
- cover and process until smooth. Pour over vegetable mixture. Stir in
- the oil, salt, garlic powder, pepper and pepper sauce. Cover and
- refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings (2
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 122 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 563 mg sodium,