When I have a taste for something different, or something with a “zip,” this soup always hits the spot.
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) whole tomatoes
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 small onion, cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 slices rye bread, cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Drain tomatoes, reserving juice. In a blender, cover and process the tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper and onion in batches until chopped. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Place the vinegar, bread cubes and reserved tomato juice in blender; cover and process until smooth. Pour over vegetable mixture. Stir in the oil, salt, garlic powder, pepper and pepper sauce. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Zesty Gazpacho in Country June/July 2007, p49
Reviews for Zesty Gazpacho
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review