Zesty Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
You don't have to be from the South to savor this traditional treat-a wonderful way to use up unripened fall tomatoes. We start our tomato plants in early spring so we can enjoy their bounty as long as possible.
- 4 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1. Sprinkle both sides of tomatoes with salt; let stand for 10 minutes. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs. In another shallow bowl, combine the cornmeal, cheese, flour and seasonings. Pat tomatoes dry. Dip in eggs, then coat with cornmeal mixture.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup oil over medium heat. Fry tomatoes, a few at a time, for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown, adding more oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (3 slices) equals 213 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 306 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC