You don't have to be from the South to savor this traditional treat-a wonderful way to use up unripened fall tomatoes. We start our tomato plants in early spring so we can enjoy their bounty as long as possible.
- 4 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil
- Sprinkle both sides of tomatoes with salt; let stand for 10 minutes. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs. In another shallow bowl, combine the cornmeal, cheese, flour and seasonings. Pat tomatoes dry. Dip in eggs, then coat with cornmeal mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup oil over medium heat. Fry tomatoes, a few at a time, for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown, adding more oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Fried Green Tomatoes in Country Woman September/October 2004, p31
Reviews for Zesty Fried Green Tomatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 16, 2013
"I prefer without the ingredients that make it zesty! I only include the garlic salt, not other 3 spices."