You don't have to be from the South to savor this traditional treat-a wonderful way to use up unripened fall tomatoes. We start our tomato plants in early spring so we can enjoy their bounty as long as possible.
- 4 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil
- Sprinkle both sides of tomatoes with salt; let stand for 10 minutes. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs. In another shallow bowl, combine the cornmeal, cheese, flour and seasonings. Pat tomatoes dry. Dip in eggs, then coat with cornmeal mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup oil over medium heat. Fry tomatoes, a few at a time, for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown, adding more oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Fried Green Tomatoes in Country Woman September/October 2004, p31
Reviews for Zesty Fried Green Tomatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 16, 2013
"I prefer without the ingredients that make it zesty! I only include the garlic salt, not other 3 spices."