Zesty Corn Cakes Recipe
Corn Cakes pair wonderfully with a meaty vegetable filling and creamy cheese sauce. When you have time on a week-end, prepare the meat filling and corn cakes. Freeze separately, thaw and reheat on a hectic weeknight.—Catherine McFann, Premier, West Virginia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cheese Sauce:
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Corn Cakes:
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the next nine ingredients; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. In a saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted.
- 3. In a bowl, combine corn cake ingredients just until moistened. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto a hot greased griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top of cake. Cook until the second side is golden brown.
- 4. Place a corn cake on four serving plates. Top each with 1/4 cup of filling. Repeat layers once. Serve with cheese sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 834 calories, 42 g fat (22 g saturated fat), 197 mg cholesterol, 2,035 mg sodium, 70 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 44 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC