Zesty Corn Cakes Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cheese Sauce:
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Corn Cakes:
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the next nine ingredients; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted.
- In a bowl, combine corn cake ingredients just until moistened. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto a hot greased griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top of cake. Cook until the second side is golden brown.
- Place a corn cake on four serving plates. Top each with 1/4 cup of filling. Repeat layers once. Serve with cheese sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Zesty Corn Cakes
Sort By :
"This is a creative and delicious variation of a plain 'ole sloppy joe! The recipe is easy to follow and sure doesn't need a pic to imagine its goodness. I liked the convenience of packaged corn bread mix and even made mine easier by using cheese slices instead of making the sauce. The real test is if my family likes it and all six of us give it thumbs up!!"
"As a recipe for corn cakes, I think this is in the wrong section....it should be in the ground beef section! Also, what's the purpose of calling it a recipe, when you use a boxed product to make it?? That being said, I wouldn't make it because it doesn't have a picture of the finished dish and I never make anything without a picture to get an idea of what it's supposed to look like. If these recipes were published in one of ToH magazines, they definitely should have a picture shown here!!"