Zesty Colorado Chili Recipe
Chili is a hearty winter staple up here in the mountains—especially for outdoor lovers like the two of us! —Beverly Bowman, Conifer, Colorado
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (1 pound)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. Cut sausage into 1/2-in. pieces. Trim pork and cut into 1/2-in. pieces.
- 2. In a 5-qt. kettle or Dutch oven, cook sausage, pork and beef over medium heat, until sausage and beef are no longer pink and the pork juices run clear; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Set meat aside.
- 3. Saute onions, green pepper and garlic in reserved drippings until tender. Add the next 12 ingredients. Return meat to the pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add the beans and heat through. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 272 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 410 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 23 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC