- 1 pound Italian sausage links
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (1 pound)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Cut sausage into 1/2-in. pieces. Trim pork and cut into 1/2-in. pieces.
- In a 5-qt. kettle or Dutch oven, cook sausage, pork and beef over medium heat, until sausage and beef are no longer pink and the pork juices run clear; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Set meat aside.
- Saute onions, green pepper and garlic in reserved drippings until tender. Add the next 12 ingredients. Return meat to the pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add the beans and heat through. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Zesty Colorado Chili in Country Woman January/February 1996, p31
Reviews for Zesty Colorado Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 8, 2015 Edited Jan. 9, 2015
"This was very popular! I used fire-roasted diced tomatoes and omitted the hot pepper. I also used a crock pot to finish the cooking once the meats and vegetables were cooked and sauteed."