Zesty Chili-Cheese Soup
With green chilies, corn and cheese, this slightly spicy soup has a Mexican flair. You're sure to like the extra "zip" it brings to your dinner table.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup seeded chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven over medium heat, saute onion in oil
- and butter until tender. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add
- flour; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in broth, corn, chilies and
- tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15
- minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients; heat,
- stirring frequently, until the cheese is melted (do not boil).
- Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 344 calories, 22 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 735 mg sodium,