- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- In a Dutch oven, bring chicken broth and beef broth to a boil; reduce heat. Add chicken and poach, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken; cool slightly.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion, soup mix, parsley and seasonings to broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Cool soup. Meanwhile, chop chicken. Add tortellini and chicken to soup. Transfer to freezer containers; freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through and tortellini are tender. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Zesty Chicken Tortellini Soup
"I have lost track how many times I have made this-we absolutely love it. It has tons of flavor and a nice little kick. I start with a box of chicken broth and one of beef, and use rotisserie chicken, rather than taking the time to poach. I would suggest getting the larger tortellinis, we get ours in the refrigerator section at Costco. They really make the soup."
"I followed the recipe except added fresh garlic rather than the powder as was suggested, but still this soup did not have the wow factor I look for; it just didn't work for us."
"Tasted great! I think using fresh garlic would add better taste rather than adding garlic powder."
"I thought this soup was great! Made it tonight, and my husband loved it too. Only changes I made were that I used 2 fresh garlic cloves instead of powder, and a cup of vegetable broth. Was very yummy!"
"We love this recipe. I omit the red pepper flakes for my kids' sakes and use Simply Organics French Onion Dip mix in place of the onion soup mix."