- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- In a Dutch oven, bring chicken broth and beef broth to a boil; reduce heat. Add chicken and poach, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken; cool slightly.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion, soup mix, parsley and seasonings to broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Cool soup. Meanwhile, chop chicken. Add tortellini and chicken to soup. Transfer to freezer containers; freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through and tortellini are tender. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Zesty Chicken Tortellini Soup
Sort By :
"Tasted great! I think using fresh garlic would add better taste rather than adding garlic powder."
"I thought this soup was great! Made it tonight, and my husband loved it too. Only changes I made were that I used 2 fresh garlic cloves instead of powder, and a cup of vegetable broth. Was very yummy!"
"We love this recipe. I omit the red pepper flakes for my kids' sakes and use Simply Organics French Onion Dip mix in place of the onion soup mix."
"Nothing is more comforting than a hot bowl of homemade soup....This was easy and is very tasty. Mmm Mmm Good, as they say."
"This will be a new family fav! Made it just the way instructions said - wouldn't change a thing."