Zesty Chicken Tortellini Soup Recipe
I love coming home knowing this soup is waiting for me. Don't hesitate to toss in whatever veggies you have on hand. —Nancy Latulippe, Simcoe, Ontario
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium onion soup mix
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- 1. In a Dutch oven, bring chicken broth and beef broth to a boil; reduce heat. Add chicken and poach, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken; cool slightly.
- 2. Add the carrots, celery, onion, soup mix, parsley and seasonings to broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Cool soup. Meanwhile, chop chicken. Add tortellini and chicken to soup. Transfer to freezer containers; freeze for up to 3 months.
- 4. To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through and tortellini are tender. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1-2/3 cups equals 310 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 1,097 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 29 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC