Zesty Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup medium salsa
- 3 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup frozen white corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Shredded cheddar cheese and tortilla chips, optional
- 1. Place chicken in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken; cut into 1/2-in. cubes. Return to cooking liquid.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onion, celery and garlic in oil until tender; add to the Dutch oven. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, salsa, zucchini, carrots, corn, chilies, cumin, chili powder and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Garnish with cheese and tortilla chips if desired. Soup may be frozen for up to 3 months. Yield: 10 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups (calculated without cheese and tortilla chips) equals 152 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 518 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.