Zesty Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup medium salsa
- 3 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup frozen white corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Shredded cheddar cheese and tortilla chips, optional
- 1. Place chicken in a Dutch oven; add water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken; cut into 1/2-in. cubes and set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and garlic; cook and stir until tender.
- 3. Add to cooking juices in Dutch oven. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, salsa, zucchini, carrots, corn, chilies, cumin, chili powder and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add chicken; heat through.
- 4. If desired, serve with cheese and tortilla chips. Soup may be frozen for up to 3 months. Yield: 10 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups (calculated without cheese and tortilla chips): 152 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 518mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Zesty Chicken Soup
"Loved this soup! Added 1 teaspoon garlic salt, used 7 oz. green chilies, 1 cup frozen peas & carrots instead of just carrots, and only 1 zucchini."
"This was excellent, but did need a teaspoon of salt, in my opinion. Left out the corn & can of green chilis & used leftover chicken."
"This was amazing!!! I canned the left overs and take them to work for lunch. I didn't change anything , it was so flavorful, and so good!"
"We loved it.....my family won't eat zucchini so didn't use....the soup was GREAT!!!"
"my favorite soup, worth the time it takes to make it, I usually double it and freeze half for rainy day..."
"A family favorite for years! And so easy to make."
"We don't eat a lot of soup in our house, but this was a big hit! My husband ate all the left overs the next day and didn't even share! Only problem is I need a bigger pot to make more!"
"GREAT LOW CARB RECIPE! Just leave out the corn and tortilla chips. My family loves it!"