Zesty Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup medium salsa
- 3 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup frozen white corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Shredded cheddar cheese and tortilla chips, optional
- 1. Place chicken in a Dutch oven; add water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken; cut into 1/2-in. cubes and set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and garlic; cook and stir until tender.
- 3. Add to cooking juices in Dutch oven. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, salsa, zucchini, carrots, corn, chilies, cumin, chili powder and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add chicken; heat through.
- 4. If desired, serve with cheese and tortilla chips. Soup may be frozen for up to 3 months. Yield: 10 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups (calculated without cheese and tortilla chips): 152 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 518mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Zesty Chicken Soup
"Loved this soup! Added 1 teaspoon garlic salt, used 7 oz. green chilies, 1 cup frozen peas & carrots instead of just carrots, and only 1 zucchini."
"This was excellent, but did need a teaspoon of salt, in my opinion. Left out the corn & can of green chilis & used leftover chicken."
"This was amazing!!! I canned the left overs and take them to work for lunch. I didn't change anything , it was so flavorful, and so good!"
"We loved it.....my family won't eat zucchini so didn't use....the soup was GREAT!!!"
"my favorite soup, worth the time it takes to make it, I usually double it and freeze half for rainy day..."
"A family favorite for years! And so easy to make."
"We don't eat a lot of soup in our house, but this was a big hit! My husband ate all the left overs the next day and didn't even share! Only problem is I need a bigger pot to make more!"
"This soup is the best. Spicy and satisfying. I make it all the time. I add celantro and use Rotel tomatoes with green chili for more kick. Everyone at work and home loves this soup. Yum!!!!"
"GREAT LOW CARB RECIPE! Just leave out the corn and tortilla chips. My family loves it!"