I'm always on the lookout for unusual recipes that are easy to make, and this is certainly one of those! A cooking teacher in the trade school I attended introduced me to Zesty Carrots. If you're a gardener, this would be a good way to use up a bumper crop of carrots! They're so tasty they might even make carrot lovers out of people who aren't "fans" of them now.
Recommended: 77 Foods to Eat When You Have a Cold
- 1-1/2 pounds carrots, washed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons grated onion and juice
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Slice carrots 1/4 in. thick; cook in small amount of water for 5 minutes. Drain; reserve 1/4 cup cooking water for sauce.
- In a bowl, combine the onion and juice, horseradish, mayonnaise, cheese, salt, pepper and reserved cooking water. Add carrots. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over carrot mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Carrots in Country August/September 1989, p49
Reviews for Zesty Carrots
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 5, 2009
"I have made these carrots quite a few times. Everyone loves them. They always ask me for the recipe."