Zesty Carrot Bake
For a fun vegetable dish, try these tender carrots in a sauce that gets its zip from horseradish. With a crunchy crumb topping and comforting sauce, it will tempt even those who usually don't care for cooked carrots.
-Grace Yaskovic, Branchville, New Jersey
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- On stovetop or microwave, cook carrots until tender. Transfer to a
- 1-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the next five ingredients. Pour over
- carrots. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake
- 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 338 calories, 29 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 357 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.