- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- On stovetop or microwave, cook carrots until tender. Transfer to a 1-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the next five ingredients. Pour over carrots. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Zesty Carrot Bake
"This was pretty good. Had the mini carrots I needed to use, but I did cut them up. Also didn't have any have any horseradish, so I subbed Arby's Horsey sauce for it! LOL!"
"This is delicious, and I've made it a few times. This last time I used two packages of the little pre-peeled mini carrots, cooked them up and then followed the recipe just as it is. Turned out great. Makes a nice side dish with ham, scalloped potatoes and green beans."
"Unbelievably delicious! If you are looking for an alternative side dish for carrots, this one is a winner. Love it just the way it is...or alter it by adding a touch of honey and substitute coconut water (not milk), top with panko. Be cautious with the horseradish, add one teaspoon at time until it is as you like it."
"Tried this recipe tonight. It was a hit in this family. Even my 4 year old grandson loved it. Great flavor. Love the zip of the horseradish in the recipe. Will make again. Everyone said to put it in the "keeper" file."