Zesty Cajun Pepper Steak Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 2 medium green peppers, julienned
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked egg noodles or rice
- 1. In a large skillet, brown beef in butter over medium heat; drain. Stir in the onions, peppers and celery; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 2. Add the water, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, soy sauce, Cajun seasoning and pepper sauce if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into meat mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with noodles or rice. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 345 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 111 mg cholesterol, 509 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 41 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.