Zesty Cajun Pepper Steak Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 2 medium green peppers, julienned
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked egg noodles or rice
- 1. In a large skillet, brown beef in butter over medium heat; drain. Stir in the onions, peppers and celery; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 2. Add the water, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, soy sauce, Cajun seasoning and pepper sauce if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into meat mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with noodles or rice. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 345 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 111 mg cholesterol, 509 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 41 g protein.
Reviews for Zesty Cajun Pepper Steak
"I wouldn't call it cajun, but it is quick and easy and delicious - I put all ingredients in the crock pot on low for 6 hours and omit corn starch step. I serve it on egg noodles"
"This was horrible. My husband usually eats anything with beef in it, and he wouldn't eat this. The flavor was definitely not like any Cajun food I've ever eaten."
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.