- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour and cornmeal all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Immediately split puffs open; remove tops and set aside. Discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook the beef, jalapenos and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and extract. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Fill puffs with beef mixture and sprinkle with cheese; replace tops. Serve immediately. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Burger Puffs in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p86
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Zesty Burger Puffs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review