I'VE BEEN a vegetarian for over 20 years and often experiment with flavors compatible to the many vegetables I prepare.
My nephew, who lived with me a year while going to graduate school, thought this was one of my best creations. It's not only beautiful, it's delicious and nutritious, too.
-Louiza Kemyan, Palm Springs, California
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until broccoli
- is crisp-tender. Drain. Add pepper flakes; toss to combine. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 41 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 314 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.