Zesty Beef Stew
Preparation couldn't be simpler for this hearty no-fuss stew! I created this dish when I didn't have some of my usual ingredients for vegetable beef soup. My husband says it's the best I ever made! —Margaret Turza, South Bend, Indiana
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on
- low for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 251 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 526 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.