Zesty Beef Roast
One day when I ran out of ketchup, I substituted horseradish in the sauce for the meatballs I was making. It was delicious, so next I decided to try it on a roast. It, too, was a winner.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 2 hours + standing
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast or boneless beef rump roast (3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup prepared horseradish
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cold water
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides in oil. Add broth. Spread
- horseradish over roast; sprinkle with onion, salt and pepper. Cover
- and bake at 350° for 2 hours or until tender, basting
- frequently. Remove roast from the pan; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour the pan juices into a large measuring cup; add water
- to equal 2 cups. Return to pan. Combine flour and cold water until
- smooth; gradually stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir for 2 minutes. Add additional water if a thinner gravy is
- desired. Slice roast; serve with gravy. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 278 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 255 mg sodium,