Zesty Beef Roast Recipe
One day when I ran out of ketchup, I substituted horseradish in the sauce for the meatballs I was making. It was delicious, so next I decided to try it on a roast. It, too, was a winner.
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast or boneless beef rump roast (3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup prepared horseradish
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 cup cold water
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides in oil. Add broth. Spread horseradish over roast; sprinkle with onion, salt and pepper. Cover and bake at 350° for 2 hours or until tender, basting frequently. Remove roast from the pan; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour the pan juices into a large measuring cup; add water to equal 2 cups. Return to pan. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add additional water if a thinner gravy is desired. Slice roast; serve with gravy. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Beef Roast in Country Extra May 1998, p49
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Zesty Beef Roast(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review