Zesty Beef Corn Bread Dinner Recipe
These Southwestern inspired squares are delicious by themselves, of course—but the sauce gives them an extra "zing" of zesty flavor, and I never make this recipe without it!—Edith Lawler, Clinton, Missouri
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- TANGY TOMATO SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 can (8 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in ketchup and salt.
- 2. Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions. Spread half of the batter into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Spoon beef mixture over batter; sprinkle with cheese. Spread remaining batter over cheese.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Let bread stand for 5 minutes after removing from oven; cut into squares and spoon sauce over. Yield: 6-8 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC