These Southwestern inspired squares are delicious by themselves, of course—but the sauce gives them an extra "zing" of zesty flavor, and I never make this recipe without it!—Edith Lawler, Clinton, Missouri
Recommended: Top 10 Mexican Dinner Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- TANGY TOMATO SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 can (8 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in ketchup and salt.
- Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions. Spread half of the batter into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Spoon beef mixture over batter; sprinkle with cheese. Spread remaining batter over cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Let bread stand for 5 minutes after removing from oven; cut into squares and spoon sauce over. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Beef Corn Bread Dinner in Country Ground Beef 1993, p42
Reviews forZesty Beef Corn Bread Dinner
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 7, 2010
"I added zucchini and mixed all the sauce ingredients in with the meat. It was served in squares . Big hit"