Zebra Butter Cookies Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Divide dough in half. Add cocoa to one half and mix well. Roll each half between waxed paper into a 9-in. square. Cut both squares into three 3-in. strips. Cut the strips in half lengthwise to make six 4-1/2-in. x 3-in. rectangles.
- 3. Place one cream-colored rectangle on a large piece of plastic wrap; top with a chocolate rectangle. Repeat layers twice. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. Unwrap and cut widthwise into eighteen 1/4-in. slices.
- 4. Cut each slice with a horse-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly golden. Let stand for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 256 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Zebra Butter Cookies
"My daughter wanted to make this recipe and I was pleasently surprised that they were relatively simple and the ingredients were things that we had on hand. We didn't have a horse cookie cutter so we made striped kitties instead. One thing I will be aware of next time is that when you stack the dough, it has to be tall enough for the cookie cutter. I had to do some rolling and smooshing to get the cookie cutter to fit on the slices, but it all worked out."