Zebra Butter Cookies Recipe
For a jungle or animal theme party, these striped cookies are a lot of fun. they are real eye-catchers. I started with a horse cookie cutter and hot exotic!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. YIELD:18 servings
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Divide dough in half. Add cocoa to one half and mix well. Roll each half between waxed paper into a 9-in. square. Cut both squares into three 3-in. strips. Cut the strips in half lengthwise to make six 4-1/2-in. x 3-in. rectangles.
- 3. Place one cream-colored rectangle on a large piece of plastic wrap; top with a chocolate rectangle. Repeat layers twice. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. Unwrap and cut widthwise into eighteen 1/4-in. slices.
- 4. Cut each slice with a horse-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly golden. Let stand for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 256 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 165 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC