- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough in half. Add cocoa to one half and mix well. Roll each half between waxed paper into a 9-in. square. Cut both squares into three 3-in. strips. Cut the strips in half lengthwise to make six 4-1/2-in. x 3-in. rectangles.
- Place one cream-colored rectangle on a large piece of plastic wrap; top with a chocolate rectangle. Repeat layers twice. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. Unwrap and cut widthwise into eighteen 1/4-in. slices.
- Cut each slice with a horse-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly golden. Let stand for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Zebra Butter Cookies
Sort By :
My daughter wanted to make this recipe and I was pleasently surprised that they were relatively simple and the ingredients were things that we had on hand. We didn't have a horse cookie cutter so we made striped kitties instead. One thing I will be aware of next time is that when you stack the dough, it has to be tall enough for the cookie cutter. I had to do some rolling and smooshing to get the cookie cutter to fit on the slices, but it all worked out.
You get 5 stars just for doing the correct recipe! These are the true zebra cookie! NOT the ones that are a chocolate cookie with a striped hershey kiss stuck in it. Oh yeah, if someone wants to do a zebra cookie, use this recipe.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Chocolate Cookie Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >