- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 13x9-in. baking pan with cooking spray.
- Beat sugar and oil on medium speed 1 minute. Add eggs, applesauce and vanilla; beat 1 minute. In another bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until blended. Stir in zucchini.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and pecans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 10-15 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Yield: 18 servings.
Reviews forYummy Zucchini Chocolate Cake
"This recipe is amazing! Made it for the family over the weekend and it was a big hit."
"Followed the instructions to a T. It has a nice crumb and rose nicely. It wasn't super moist, the chocolate flavor wasn't deep or pronounced, and the toppings didn't stick to the top (the crust was set by 20 minutes) or melt. Good vanilla ice cream made it better, but on its own it was very disappointing. I am really disappointed with the Taste of Home recipes that I have tried recently. Maybe my tastes have changed, but it seems like the TOH recipes I made 7 years ago were better."
"I recently made these as cup cakes for a bake sale. A lot of work but so lovely!"
"Good recipe. A little bit too sweet for my taste but overall very delicious! Thanks for sharing."
"Freaking amazing!!!! Not too sweet, but totally delicious, and dense, and chocolately, and...nomnomnom...I can't be bothered right now...I'm eating cake...nomnomnom"
"Easy to make , really enjoyed by all the Family, would take to a church potluck. I froze a few pieces for later, and they were fine."
"Great made as cupcakes, A hit with the granddaughters"
"about how many pounds of zucchini equals to 2 cups shredded?? Thank you."