- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 13x9-in. baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil on medium speed 1 minute. Add eggs, applesauce and vanilla; beat 1 minute longer. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until blended. Stir in zucchini.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and pecans. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Yield: 18 servings.
Reviews for Yummy Zucchini Chocolate Cake
"Good recipe. A little bit too sweet for my taste but overall very delicious! Thanks for sharing."
"Freaking amazing!!!! Not too sweet, but totally delicious, and dense, and chocolately, and...nomnomnom...I can't be bothered right now...I'm eating cake...nomnomnom"
"Easy to make , really enjoyed by all the Family, would take to a church potluck. I froze a few pieces for later, and they were fine."
"Great made as cupcakes, A hit with the granddaughters"