Yummy Zucchini Chocolate Cake Recipe
As a confirmed chocoholic, this is my all-time favorite treat. I found the original recipe more than 20 years ago, but have lightened it up quite a bit. Everyone asks for the recipe, and no one suspects that it's lighter than most chocolate cakes. —Carleta Foltz, Sunrise Beach, Missouri
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1. In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the eggs, applesauce and vanilla; beat 1 minute longer. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until blended. Stir in zucchini.
- 2. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and pecans. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 18 servings.
1 piece equals 286 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 152 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC