Yummy Sweet 'n' Sour Meatballs Recipe
My sister served these meatballs as a holiday treat one year. Now, when I make them, someone always asks for the recipe.—Gigi Trapp, Mt. Caramel, Illinois
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; crumble beef over top and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- 2. In a skillet, brown meatballs on all sides, turning often; remove and set aside. Drain fat.
- 3. For sauce, add the brown sugar and cornstarch to the skillet. Stir in the pineapple, vinegar and soy sauce until blended. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add green pepper; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until tender. Return meatballs to skillet and heat through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (4 ounces) equals 296 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 610 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC