My sister served these meatballs as a holiday treat one year. Now, when I make them, someone always asks for the recipe.—Gigi Trapp, Mt. Caramel, Illinois
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; crumble beef over top and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- In a skillet, brown meatballs on all sides, turning often; remove and set aside. Drain fat.
- For sauce, add the brown sugar and cornstarch to the skillet. Stir in the pineapple, vinegar and soy sauce until blended. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add green pepper; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until tender. Return meatballs to skillet and heat through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Sweet-and-Sour Meatballs in Country Ground Beef 1993, p7
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Yummy Sweet 'n' Sour Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review