Chicken and dumpling soup is a classic that every cook should have in their recipe box and this version is tried and true. My husband is not very fond of leftovers, but says he would eat this every day of the week if I let him. —Morgan Byers, Berkley, Michigan
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups frozen french-cut green beans
- 1-1/2 cups sliced onions
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir until no longer pink. Remove from heat.
- In a large saucepan, whisk flour and 1/2 cup broth until smooth. Stir in water and remaining broth. Add beans, onions, carrots and marjoram. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Add chicken; return to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix biscuit mix, cornmeal and cheese. Stir in milk just until moistened. Drop batter in 12 portions on top of the simmering soup. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of dumpling comes out clean. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken and Dumpling Soup in Light & Tasty October/November 2006, p25
Reviews for Yummy Chicken and Dumpling Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review