You'll have a hard time eating just one of these cheesy, buttery treats from Ann Nace of Perkasie, Pennsylvania. They make a fun appetizer or side for soups or salads. Try twisting the sticks for an extra-fancy look. -Ann Nace of Perkasie, Pennsylvania
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir in cheese. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in. square. Cut in half lengthwise; cut each half widthwise into 1/2-in. strips. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Place 1 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Cheese Straws in Healthy Cooking April/May 2008, p23
Reviews for Yummy Cheese Straws
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review