Yummy Cheese Straws Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir in cheese. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in. square. Cut in half lengthwise; cut each half widthwise into 1/2-in. strips. Sprinkle with paprika.
- 3. Place 1 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 cheese straw equals 19 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 52 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Yummy Cheese Straws
"There is NO way that this makes 48 straws. The calorie count of these is very deceiving. It did not even make half of that amount -- plus they broke when you tried to get them off the sheet."
"These are great. They have a unique dense biscuit-y type texture. I added more cheese and some ground cayenne pepper too."