- the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed
- mixture and mix well. Stir in pistachio mixture.
- Divide dough into eight portions. Wrap in plastic wrap and
- refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm.
- Shape each portion into an 18-in. rope; cut each into six logs. Place
- 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cut the ends of each log at an
- angle. Using a small amount of egg white, attach removed pieces to
- each log, forming branches.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire
- In a microwave, melt remaining chocolate chips and shortening; stir
- until smooth. Working in batches, dip cookies in chocolate, allowing
- excess to drip off. With the tines of a fork, make strokes in the
- chocolate to resemble bark. Dust with ground pistachios.
- For mushrooms, pinch half of each marshmallow to form a stem; flatten
- the other half for cap of mushroom. Dust tops of mushrooms with
- cocoa. Attach to cookies with a small amount of melted chocolate.
- Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie (calculated without ground pistachios and decorations) equals 163 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 83 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.