Yule Log Cookies Recipe
- 2/3 cup pistachios
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Ground pistachios
- Miniature marshmallows
- Baking cocoa
- 1. Place the pistachios and sugar in a food processor; cover and process until ground. Set aside. In a microwave, melt 1 cup chocolate chips; stir until smooth.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, melted chocolate, milk and almond extract. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in pistachio mixture.
- 3. Divide dough into eight portions. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm.
- 4. Shape each portion into an 18-in. rope; cut each into six logs. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cut the ends of each log at an angle. Using a small amount of egg white, attach removed pieces to each log, forming branches.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks.
- 6. In a microwave, melt remaining chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Working in batches, dip cookies in chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. With the tines of a fork, make strokes in the chocolate to resemble bark. Dust with ground pistachios.
- 7. For mushrooms, pinch half of each marshmallow to form a stem; flatten the other half for cap of mushroom. Dust tops of mushrooms with cocoa. Attach to cookies with a small amount of melted chocolate.
- 8. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 cookie (calculated without ground pistachios and decorations) equals 163 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 83 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.