The adorable little cookie yule logs will look fantastic on any cookie tray. The chewy brownie-like cookies are coated with chocolate and sprinkled with ground pistachios. The miniature mushrooms are super easy to make.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Recommended: 34 Easy Cake Decorating Ideas
- 2/3 cup pistachios
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Ground pistachios
- Miniature marshmallows
- Baking cocoa
- Place the pistachios and sugar in a food processor; cover and process until ground. Set aside. In a microwave, melt 1 cup chocolate chips; stir until smooth.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, melted chocolate, milk and almond extract. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in pistachio mixture.
- Divide dough into eight portions. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm.
- Shape each portion into an 18-in. rope; cut each into six logs. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cut the ends of each log at an angle. Using a small amount of egg white, attach removed pieces to each log, forming branches.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks.
- In a microwave, melt remaining chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Working in batches, dip cookies in chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. With the tines of a fork, make strokes in the chocolate to resemble bark. Dust with ground pistachios.
- For mushrooms, pinch half of each marshmallow to form a stem; flatten the other half for cap of mushroom. Dust tops of mushrooms with cocoa. Attach to cookies with a small amount of melted chocolate.
- Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Yule Log Cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2012, p132
Reviews for Yule Log Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review