Yogurt Yeast Rolls Recipe
People tend to snap up these fluffy, golden rolls, in a hurry whenever I take them to a potluck. It's a nice combination since rolls are easy to transport and one batch goes a long way. — Carol Forcum, Marion, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Additional melted butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, yeast, salt and baking soda. In a saucepan over low heat, heat yogurt, water, butter and honey to 120°-130°. Pour over dry ingredients; blend well. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 2-in. balls. Roll each piece into a 10-in. rope. To form S shaped rolls, coil each end of rope toward center in opposite directions. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Brush tops with melted butter while warm. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 115 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 245 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC